Wednesday, January 21, 2009

1/21/09

Conv Dead: 3/5/225 lbs
CG Bench: 3/10/155 lbs
Squat: 3/5/185 lbs

The conventional deads felt pretty good and I had little protestation from my back once I got the form correct. I am, however, concerned about my shoulder while squatting. The problem comes from the position that one has to keep the hands during a back squat...a bit too much like a military BB press for my shoulder to be comfortable with at the moment. At the lighter weights that I was working at it did not seem like that much of a problem, but I can tel from today that increasing the weight will exacerbate the problem. All of this being said, I am being forced to look at moving to the front squat while my shoulder is hopefully on the mend. It may mean backing down on the weight, but that is not a big deal.

It is kind of humbling to look at my lifts in the big three and know just how far down the chain I am. In some ways it makes me really want to get these numbers up, but who am I kidding. I am not built for strongman or even powerlifting. And to be quite frank, it feels good to lighten the load and just lift. I am going to continue to lift but definately take a lesson away from all of the injuries I have had to work through this past year due to just pushing to hard and not acknowledging my limitations. It is ok to back off for a while.

2 comments:

Jacob Patrick said...

I wonder if switching to a thumbless grip would help your shoulders out? Rippetoe advocates it in his book, and I think it's been talked about a few times on his Q&A. Just a thought.

Jacob Patrick said...

I just wrote a good post and then Blogger messed it up.

Basically I said: Don't beat yourself up. You're on the right path, and the difference in your shoulder now compared to last year this time is pretty big. The fact that you're conventional deadlifting at all is a good sign too, considering your knee history. Just keep hammering away at the basics and you can't go wrong.